Monday, April 18, 2016

Week 13, Reading Diary: Italian Popular Tales Unit

The second half of the Italian Popular Tales Unit by Thomas Crane was just as exciting as the first half!



One story I liked was called The Language of Animals. This story reminded me a lot of the story "Water and Salt" from the first half. In this story, a father was upset by his son so he told his servants to kill him. The servants could not complete this request so they killed a dog instead to trick the father. The son ended up living in a castle far away and becoming the next Pope because he could talk to animals. In the end, the father asked for forgiveness and the son granted it to him.

I loved how this story had a happy ending (even though the father was not deserving of it). I think the underlying message in this story was the importance of forgiveness. For my story this week I would love to have a character that could talk to animals and/or read their thoughts!

Another story that caught my eye was called An Incident in Rome. In this story, a man goes into a dark hole and hears someone talking to him. The unknown character would not reveal his identity. Instead, the character wrote his name on the man's back and made him show it to the Pope. The man visited the Pope and lifted up his shirt immediately. On the man's back, it read "I AM PILATE" and the Pope instantly turned into a statue.

This story was so different than the others and kept me on the edge of my seat. For this week, I want to create a story similar to this one! Overall, I really enjoyed this unit (I think it was one of my favorite units from this semester).


No comments:

Post a Comment