Monday, April 18, 2016

Week 13, Reading Diary: Italian Popular Tales Unit

This week I decided to read the Indian Popular Tales Unit by Thomas Crane. I really enjoyed reading these tales because they were similar to the ones I grew up reading, just with slightly different characters!

One of my favorite stories from the first section was called Water and Salt. This story was about a King who had three daughters. One of his daughters said she loved him as much as "water and salt." The King was offended by this statement and demanded his daughter was killed. The other two daughters hid their sister in the forest and killed their dog instead to bring to the King. The two daughters tricked him and made him think the dog's blood was their sisters. In the end, the King attended a wedding and was not given water nor salt at dinner. The long lost daughter entered the room and he wept. He realized how important these small things were and loved his daughter again!

I loved this story because it had a moral lesson of "appreciate the small things." I would love to write a story where this was the main message to my audience.

Another story I found very interesting was called Sir Fiorante, Magician. This story also involved a father with three daughters. In this story a snake asked the man to marry one of his daughters. The youngest daughter agreed and the snake turned into a handsome man with "red and white stockings." In the end, the youngest daughter ended up dying and the snake lived happily ever after with his second wife. It was not your typical "happily ever after" that I am used to.

For my story this week I want to include three daughters. I think it would be fun to write about a daughter that everyone thought was "dead" but was actually living somewhere with a handsome Prince. Overall, I enjoyed this unit and I am excited to read the second half later this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment