Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Week 12, Reading Diary Continued: English Fairy Tale Unit

The second half of the English Fairy Tale Unit by Joseph Jacobs was just as entertaining as the first half. All of the stories were so unique and engaging.

One story that I loved was called Henny-Penny. I remembered hearing about this story as a child, but I am not sure if I ever actually read it or not. This story reminded me a lot of the story "The Old Woman and Her Pig." It reminded me of that story because it had a very similar story format. Here is an example from Henny-Penny:

"Where are you going, Henny-penny, Cocky-locky, Ducky-daddles, and Goosey-poosey?' says Turkey-turkey. 'Oh! we're going to tell the king the sky's a-falling,' said Henny-penny, Cocky-locky, Duckydaddies, and Goosey-poosey. 'May I come with you, Henny-penny, Cocky-locky, Ducky-daddles, and Goosey-poosey?' said Turkey-lurkey."

In Henny-Penny, the story included characters with rhyming names. Every paragraph, a new character would join the search to find the King. In the end, the fox ended up eating all of the characters except for Henny-Penny! Henny-Penny never completed her task of telling the King that the sky was falling! 


One other story that caught my attention was called Molly Whuppie. This story included a very clever girl and a huge giant. Molly, the clever young girl, had to accomplish certain tasks for the King. If Molly accomplished the tasks, her sisters would marry into the royal family. In the end, Molly tricked the giant and her and her two sisters were able to marry the King's sons!

My favorite part of this story was the famous lines: "Fee, fie, fo, fum"

I never knew a giant was the one who first said these words. For my story this week, I would love to incorporate a character that resembled a giant! I also think it would be fun to write a story about why Henny-Penny thought the sky was falling. I am excited for this week's storytelling! 

No comments:

Post a Comment