Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Reading Diary, Week 11 Continued: Nursery Rhymes Unit

The second half of the Nursery Rhyme Unit by Andrew Lang was just as wonderful as the first half!

In the second half of the readings, I loved the section called "Love and Matrimony." These were short tales composed of rhymes about love. Most of these stories dealt with a boy and girl who had a crush with one another. These stories were very unique because you could get an image of the characters and/or their relationship with one another with only a few small sentences!

One of my favorite stories of this unit was "Jack Sprat"

JACK SPRAT could eat no fat,
His wife could eat no lean:
They lick'd the platter clean
And so, betwixt them both, you see,
They lick'd the platter clean.



I loved this little story because it is witty, clever and descriptive! I can picture the couple and what they must love about each other by only reading five sentences. 

The other section I absolutely loved in this section was called "Riddles." I was intrigued by the riddles section because all the stories had a distinct tone and musical feel to them. The stories used a lot of repetitive sounds and words that made the story come to life! 

For my story this week, I want to incorporate a character that speaks in riddles. I feel like this week's writing could be a challenge because I have never written riddles or rhymes before. In contrast, I am excited to try a new writing style and to see what I can come up with in the near future! 

No comments:

Post a Comment