Monday, April 4, 2016

Reading Diary, Week 11: Nursery Rhymes

For this week's reading dairy, I decided to read the Nursery Rhymes Unit. The stories in this unit came from "The Nursery Rhyme Book" edited by Andrew Lang.

Growing up, my mother would always read me nursery rhymes before bed. I was so excited to read the stories in this unit to relive some of my very favorite childhood memories.

One thing that I absolutely loved about the Nursery Rhymes Tales section was the unique rhymes and vocal patterns. I found myself being drawn to the artistic flow of the words and sounds. The rhymes throughout each tale kept me engaged in the story. For my story this week, I think it would be fun (and challenging) to make my story rhyme! I think authors who can do this have a very unique talent and way with words.

Another aspect I loved about the Nursery Rhymes Tales unit was that the "mini stories" didn't always make sense. I think I love this detail because it reminds me of childhood innocence and imagination. I think it would be fun to write a story that forced the readers to use their imagination to conclude the story.

Overall, my favorite part about the first section of readings was the musical tone and rhythm embedded within each tale. I loved reading the story and seeing it come alive in my head. This week, I would love to challenge myself by creating a story that rhymed. In addition, I want to my story to be told as a "bedtime story" for a little kid. I think it would be fun to make the characters actually come alive and visit the children in their room. I feel like I am going to have a lot of fun with this unit this week!


No comments:

Post a Comment