Monday, April 25, 2016

Reading Diary, Week 14: Russian Folktale Unit Continued

The second half of the Russian Folktale Unit was very similar to the first half. The stories were still very ere, creepy and a little disturbing (in my opinion!) Overall, the stories were very unique and made you feel like you were in a scary movie while you were reading them. I would highly suggest these stories for anyone who enjoys books about death, ghosts or vampires.

One story from the second half of the readings that caught my attention was called The Witch Girl. This story is about death. In this certain story, "death" goes around and kills people at night. This story also included a witch that was dressed in all white. In my opinion, I think this character was supposed to resemble death. The idea of this was kind of strange to me because usually death is portrayed as the color black. For my story this week, I think it would be neat to write a story from the point of view of the "white witch."

Another story that was very interesting to me was called The Headless Princess. In this story, there was a princess who could take off her head. This made me laugh because most princesses are very beautiful and elegant. I chuckled at the thought of one of my favorite Disney princesses having this as her special power. At the end of the story, the King ordered that his daughter (the princess) should be killed and thrown into a hole in the ground.

The stories in this unit were very different and disturbing. Although these stories were entertaining, I do not think they were my favorite.


No comments:

Post a Comment