Monday, April 11, 2016

Reading Diary, Week 12: English Fairy Tales Unit

For week 12, I decided to read the English Fairy Tale Unit by Joseph Jacobs.

Reading these stories was so much fun! Every single story I read was very different from the other. This unit reminded me a lot of my childhood. I never knew the stories behind some of these tales, so it was entertaining going back and rereading them as an adult.

One of the stories that I absolutely loved was called The Old Woman and her Pig. This story was about a woman's pig that would not jump over "a stile." Since the pig would not jump, the old woman could not get home. In order to get the pig to move, she kept asking different people and/or animals to help her. No one would help her; therefore, it created a ripple effect! Here is a short example from the story:

"She went a little further, and she met an ox. So she said: 'Ox! ox! drink water; water won't quench fire; fire won't burn stick; stick won't beat dog; dog won't bite pig; piggy won't get over the stile; and I shan't get home tonight.' But the ox wouldn't."

The story both started and ended in this sort of fashion. I thought it was hilarious because I have never seen anything like it before! I think it would be interesting to write a story like this... but I also think it would be very difficult. 

My other favorite story I read was The Story of the Three Little Pigs. It was wonderful to go back and read this story in a whole new perspective! Since I have not read this story in a long time, I forgot what happened in the end. When I went back and reread it today, I found myself cracking up. In the end, the wolf tries to climb down the pig's chimney but gets trapped in a boiling pot of water.

This week, I think it would be fun to rewrite the ending of the "Three Little Pigs." I am excited to see where my creativity takes me this week. 


No comments:

Post a Comment