Friday, April 22, 2016

Portfolio: A Pig's Diary


Monday:
Today is the best day ever!!! A little old lady named Miss Henny purchased Betty, Curly and me today from the market. Now we no longer have to worry about being turning into someone’s breakfast. Miss Henny is coming to pick us up tomorrow. I am so excited to see what our new farm looks like (I really hope we have a mud Jacuzzi or a big patch of hay to sunbathe on). It is going to be hard to get sleep tonight with all of this excitement!




Tuesday:
Today was the first day on the farm for Curly, Betty and me. Although it is cute, I will admit that it’s a little different then how I expected it to be. There is one medium-sized barn at the very back of the land. It has old red shutters and a navy blue door. Curly, Betty and I have a small haystack near the chicken coops. There isn’t much room to roam, but at least the cows don’t seem to be as annoying as the last ones we lived with. I am excited to make new friends and to pull more pranks on the other animals.

Wednesday:
Oh! Miss Henny went to the store yesterday to buy materials to make us houses. I don’t know if she has ever owned pigs before… because we are perfectly fine with sleeping on our haystack (or even the dirt.) Anyways, I am so excited to have my own house. I hope mine is painted pink… that’s always been my favorite color. I am going to go search the chicken coop to find some loose feathers for decorations. Maybe the sheep will even loan me some fur for a warm blanket…. Tomorrow can’t come fast enough!

Thursday:
I think I am Miss Henny’s favorite because she gave me the house made of brick! Curly’s house is made of straw and Betty’s is made of furze. I might be a little biased… but I think mine is the best! I can’t write long today because I have to go tidy up my brand new place. 



Friday:
THE WORST THING HAPPENED YESTERDAY! I was minding my own business in my beautiful new home and all of a sudden I hear squealing coming from Curly’s house. I jumped on my haystack and peered out my window to see a massive, ugly wolf eating Curly!!! He must have come from the other side of the woods. The cows warned us to stay far away from there, but of course I thought they were just being dramatic. Anyways, the wolf blew down the house of straw and treated my friend as if he were a piece of bacon!

Saturday:
THE WOLF ATTACKED AGAIN! I tried to warn Betty last night, but she being the stubborn ham she is, she would not listen. The wolf blew down Betty’s house and ate her too. Miss Henny and her husband are on a vacation. They are going to be so devastated to see what happened to Betty and Curly when they return. I must stand my ground and survive. Miss Henny would be devastated if she lost all three of her new pigs!

Sunday:
Guess what I had for dinner tonight? Wolf meat! Yeah that’s right… I defeated the wolf. He tried to pull his stunt on me but I outsmarted him! The bricks were too strong for him to blow down. When he tried to climb down my chimney, there was a nice big pot of boiling hot water waiting for his arrival. Oh, Miss Henny will be so happy to see that I am okay! I miss Curly and Betty so much already. I guess I will have to make a trip down to the “meet market” soon to make some new friends.

Bibliography: The original story comes from "The Three Little Pigs" in English Fairy Tales by Joseph Jacobs in 1890. 

Author's Note: I got my idea from the classic story of "The Three Little Pigs." I decided to write my version in a "diary format" to show my audience the scene from the pig's perspective. The original story is about a wolf that blows down pigs' houses and eats them for dinner. In the original story, the three pigs either have a straw house, a furze house or a brick house. The wolf blows down the straw and furze house, but cannot blow down the brick one. At the end, one brave pig survives and kills the wolf by putting a pot of hot water under his chimney. I wanted to keep most of the same elements from the original source because it is so wonderful and classic. I wanted my audience to see the story in a new light and give background details that they have never thought about. I had so much fun getting to put myself in the pig’s perspective. I wanted my audience to escape reality and put themselves “behind the scenes “of their favorite childhood story. I have never written a story in this format before, but I think I will write another one like this in the future. Overall, I had a blast coming up with this week’s story!

2 comments:

  1. Haha this is another great story and it definitely made me laugh. I thought the story you told it in was really creative and it makes me want to write a story in a similar way. I also love the original story of the three little pigs and thought you did a great job spinning off of that. I can tell that you have fun writing these stories because it comes through in your writing, Keep up the great work you are an awesome writer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Matty! I HAD to read this story when I saw it on your blog! I loved how you retold your story using a diary format! I loved that you used the pig’s perspective and gave readers the “behind the scenes” experience! I would have totally tried to eat the Wolf too if he devoured all of my friends! Great job Matty, this was adorable!

    ReplyDelete