Saturday, January 23, 2016

Week Two Reading Diary: Women in the Bible

This week, I chose to read the "Women in the Bible" on the Mythology and Folklore UN-Textbook. These stories originated from the King James Bible.

Reading about the women in the bible was very fascinating! Throughout the first half of the women I read, I noticed that a lot of their stories had to do with becoming pregnant.

I noted that women who could not bear children were jealous of women that could. In many stories, God would do the impossible and grant the barren women with a child.

I also noticed that many of these women heard God when they were near water and/or in the nature.

There were many symbols throughout these stories as well. Some of the symbols included:
Serpent- Evil
Samson’s Hair- Strength
Children- God’s promises
Woman- “Made from man”
Eve- Mother of all living

I found these very interesting! Throughout the stories, I saw that many of the women were jealous and/or would try to seduce their way into something. When a woman had a problem, she would usually leave her town and seek to hear God in the wilderness.

It was apparent that men had much of the authority at this time. In almost every story, the women had to serve the men. Many of the women were chosen as wives… they did not have much of a choice.


Overall, I really enjoyed learning about these women in the Bible. The stories showed that the women were very strong and chased after what they waned. Although men ruled at the time, these women did not give up on their dreams easily and relied on God with everything that they did (well most of them). I am excited to see what the next half of these stories hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment