Saturday, January 16, 2016

My Storybook Favorites

Today, I had the chance to look through some examples of student's Storybooks. All of the Storybooks were completely different in both text and layout. After scanning through some of the examples, I noticed that I enjoyed Storybooks with a more simple design. I enjoyed layouts that only had two or three colors. I also found myself loving descriptive photos and images. These images helped me picture their stories more clearly. After going through some of the examples, the three listed below really grabbed my attention!

The Storybook "In A World Of My Own" was the first to pull me in. This story grabbed my attention because it combines several classical fairy tales into one. I liked the black background with the white font. In addition, the pictures that the author used were very detailed and beautiful. After reading the introduction, I found myself wanting to read more and more. Overall, I think this storybook was very creative and well written.

Another Storybook that caught my eye was Tragically Ever After. This is not your average fairytale. This Storybook takes fairy tales and twists them into something darker and ere. The introduction was captivating and made me want to see what would happen to some of my favorite childhood characters. I thought it was so cool how the author chose to write from each characters point of view. I would like to create a Storybook similar to this one day!

Last, I really enjoyed looking through the Storybook The Prince Diaries. I thought that this idea was so funny and creative. We all know the story of the fairy tale princesses... but know we know more about the princes! These short stories were written in a "diary" format from the princes' point of view. I thought that these writings were hilarious and very clever. The overall layout on this Storybook was not my favorite, but I enjoyed looking at the pictures and reading about how princes think!


After reviewing these Storybooks, I am very excited to start on my own project. I feel that this project will show our personalities and will get our creative juices flowing. I love writing stories; therefore, I am excited to see what I can come up with in the near future!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you looked at World of My Own: isn't that cool? The way he combined the story of Alice with different characters from different fairy tales was really cool, and it was also very intense because of the life story he imagined for Alice outside of Wonderland. Sometimes the Storybooks have really complex plots of their own, like that one, and they can also be more like separate stories in anthology, like for the other fairy tale Storybooks you looked at. And since you are interested in fairy tales, you might want to consider doing the Jewish Fairy Tale option in the Bible section: it is a really fantastic book which contains stories that are like fairy tales, but some of them have Biblical characters in them, or else they have an explicitly religious theme of some kind. It's hard to describe, but the stories are really fascinating, especially for people who can appreciate the Bible references.

    ReplyDelete
  2. All of these Storybooks sounds very interesting, and from reading your first Storytelling assignment; I can tell you will do a great job with your Storybook and creating/developing new stories through the stories you read throughout the semester! I might have to go ahead and check out some of these same Storybooks because they all sound intriguing and something different, which is something I enjoy.

    ReplyDelete