Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Week 7, Reading Diary: Japanese Fairy Tales Unit

Wow, two of the stories that I read today could not have been more different! Both of the stories I read came from the Japanese Fairy Tale Unit and were written by Yei Theodora Ozaki.

The first story that caught my attention was called The Goblin of Adachigahara. This story contained a "cannibal goblin" that could transform herself into an old woman for disguise. The cannibal goblin only came out at night and lived off of human flesh.

This story was about the only known survivor who barely escaped the goblins attack. He prayed to Buddha and felt that his God was the only thing that saved him. I liked the idea of a man relying on a God to save him from a horrible situation. I did not like the idea of an evil goblin eating innocent humans for a living.

The other story that caught my attention was called The Story Of Princess Hase. This story was very similar to the Cinderella story that I grew up reading (so of course I loved it!)



My favorite characters were the King and his daughter. The daughter was described as talented, beautiful and good. After the King's wife died, he remarried an evil women who hated his daughter.
The stepmother tried killing the King's daughter several times.

At the end, the father went searching for his daughter and rescued her! I loved the idea of a dad and daughter reuniting after not seeing each other for a long time. For my story this week, I want to create a twist on the classical story of Cinderella. I think it would be fun to write the story from a completely different point of view!

No comments:

Post a Comment