Monday, March 28, 2016

Week 10, Reading Diary: Cherokee Myth Units

For week 10, I decided to read the Cherokee Myth Units by James Mooney. I really enjoyed these stories because a lot of them dealt with animals and nature. In addition to the characters, the stories were also very mystical and dealt with supernatural legends.

It was really cool getting to read stories from this unit becaause I am apart of the Cherokee tribe. Reading these legendary stories made me feel more connected to my long lost ancestors.

One of my favorite stories was called How The World Was Made. I really enjoyed this story because it opened my eyes to other stories/opinions on how humans came to earth. In this story it says that there is "another world under this one." For my story this week, I want to have the setting take place in this unkown, mystical world that is found below earth.

Another story I absolutely loved was called The Moon And The Thunders. In this story, the moon, stars and sun all had personalities just like humans. It is also a famous legend that the moon is actually a ball that was thrown up into the sky during a game many many years ago.



For my story this week, I would love to write the background story on how the moon got into the sky! If I didnt want to write about the moon, I could also talk about the thunder and how they are actually talking to eachother during a thunder storm.

Overall, I loved this unit and I am excited to read the second half later this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment