Saturday, March 5, 2016

Matty's Portfolio: The Starry-Eyed Lovers

Once upon a time there was young beautiful couple that lived on one of the brightest stars in the galaxy. The boy, Caleb, was small in stature, but extremely handsome and mighty in strength. The girl, Lucy, was soft-spoken, gentle and lovely in appearance. The couple had grown up together and had been dating for almost five years.

On a beautiful crystal-clear night, Caleb took Lucy to their favorite spot. After watching the sunrise together, Caleb got down on one knee and popped the “big question.”


“Lucy, we have been dating for a while now and I know that you are the only one for me,” said Caleb. “Will you be my wife?”

Extremely excited, Lucy jumped up and down and replied with a huge “YES!”

After the two celebrated and drowned each other with hugs, Lucy sat down and had a very serious look in her eyes. Caleb immediately noticed and sat down next to her.

“Is something wrong?”
 asked Caleb.

“Before you decide to marry me, there is something I need to tell you,” said Lucy.

“You can tell me anything,” responded Caleb.

“I am immortal,” said Lucy. “I cannot die.”

Wide-eyed and in shock, Caleb did not know how to respond. Lucy was afraid this would happen so she quickly started sharing her biggest secret with her soon-to-be husband.

-----------

A few years ago, Lucy and her mother, Mary, decided to take a trip to heaven for the annual “Feast Among the Stars” celebration. Mary and Lucy put their favorite dresses on, because you never know whom you will meet in heaven, and took a cloud taxi there. Once they reached heaven, they bought tickets to the feast and entered the sparkling, golden castle.

Inside the castle, Lucy and Mary met thousands of famous people and got to catch up with old friends. Once the angels strummed their harps, everyone took their places at the ginormous table and dug in.

The feast had every kind of food you could ever imagine! Lucy and Mary found themselves indulging in seafood paella, chicken fried rice, fried green tomatoes, fresh French toast, crab legs, shrimp sushi rolls, smoked turkey legs, garlic mashed potatoes and vegetable lasagna. After eating their massive meal, Lucy felt sick and made a run for the bathroom.

Lucy opened what she thought was a bathroom door and threw herself inside.

“Who are you?” asked the cupboard fairy.

“My name is Lucy and I am here for the annual feast,” said Lucy. “I am sorry for bothering you. I was looking for the bathroom because I do not feel well.”

“I can fix that!" said the fairy. “Here are some freshly picked cherries from the heaven’s garden. They will make you feel better instantly!”

Without questioning the fairy, Lucy ate the cherry and immediately felt better. Lucy thanked the kind creature and made her way back to the feast.

After dessert, which included zesty lemon bars, roasted pears, poppy seed cake, sugar plum tarts, peanut butter bars, banana pudding and mint chocolate brownies, Lucy and her mother decided it was time to head home.

Almost a year had passed by and it was Lucy’s 23rd birthday. Lucky woke up and went on her daily morning run across the Milky Way. As she was passing Pluto, something tiny flew out of nowhere and hit her right in the middle of her face!


Confused and startled, Lucy screamed.

“SHHHHHH!” said the fairy. “I am not supposed to be here!”

“What are you doing on this side of the galaxy?” asked Lucy.

“It is your birthday so I thought I should give you a gift,” said the Fairy.

“What kind of gift?” asked Lucy.

“Well… I kind of already gave it to you!”
 said the Fairy laughing. “I gave you the gift of eternal life when I gave you my magical cherry at the feast.”

Shocked and confused, Lucy did not know how to respond. The fairy made Lucy swear not to tell anyone of the gift she had received. Ever since that day, Lucy had kept the fairy’s secret.

---------

“So… do you have anything to ask?” said Lucy. “I understand if you do not want to marry me anymore.”

“You are crazy; of course I still want to marry you!” exclaimed Caleb.

Six months later, the young couple got married and went on a honeymoon to a cloud right outside of heaven’s gates. When they arrived at their hotel room, they had a gift waiting for them. The couple opened the box and inside was a single red cherry. Next to the cherry was a note that read:


“This is for Caleb... now you both can live happily ever after.”
Caleb ate the cherry and the two became inseparable forever. Not even death could do them part.

The end.



Author's Note:  
For my story, I got the “magical cherry” idea from The Monkey King Unit. This idea came from the story named “The Queen Mother of the West.” In this story, the Queen Mother of the West has a magical peach farm. Every three thousand years, the queen’s fairies would pick her magical peaches. The queen would then hold a huge feast and invite all of the Gods and Goddesses to share them with her.

I loved the idea of a “magical fruit” and decided to incorporate into my story. Just like the ape in the Monkey King Unit, I wanted one of my characters to become immortal. Therefore, I combined these two mystical elements and created my own fairy tale by creating the "magical cherry."

In addition to the magical fruit, I also got the idea of living on a star from the Monkey King Unit. In many of these stories, the magical ape would travel by clouds. I loved the idea of soaring through the sky so I decided to add it to my own story.

Overall, I wanted to incorporate a “hidden message” within my story, In many of the stories I read this week, I found myself finding hidden life morals. For my particular story, I wanted to show my readers that “true love wins.” Although Caleb knew his wife was immortal, he loved her anyways and married her. At the end, the fairy granted his loyalty and made him immortal as well.

Bibliography:
My story idea came from the story "The Queen Mother of the West" in the Monkey King Unit. These stories come from the "Ape Sun Wu Kung" in the Chinese Fairy Book written by R. Wilhelm in 1921.

8 comments:

  1. I first wanted to say that I really liked the layout of your portfolio and I really appreciated the pictures with each story blurb. The blurb made me click on this story because I wanted to figure out just exactly what her big secret was! You are very creative with your writing so it was interesting to read. Whenever the fairy told her to keep it a secret, I was afraid something terrible would happen since she told her husband to be. I'm glad that they got a happy ending and that they were able to live happily ever after for forever. That was nice of the fairy to do. I liked your hidden moral too that true love wins. It was great that Caleb decided to stay with her even though she was immortal. I suppose that could be hard in a relationship to know that you were going to die but that your love would continue to live on and not age together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I really liked your story! At first I thought I was reading a regular old "I want to marry you but this happened and I don't know if you will forgive me" story, but I was very glad to be wrong! It was a very well written, creative, and entertaining story. It's nice of the fairy to allow Caleb to also be immortal so that they could live together forever. Let's sure hope that they are meant to be forever! Great story, I'm excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Matty, I loved reading your “Starry-Eyed Lovers” story, and found that it was one of my favorites that I have read all semester! I’m a sucker for a happy ending, and a good romance. I really liked that you included the story of how she became immortal, instead of just saying that she was and that he accepted her for who she was. I thought it added a lot to the overall story, especially when you reincorporated it at the end. I loved that Caleb was rewarded in the end so that they could be together forever, especially because in past stories I have heard of fairies being malicious. I was really hoping that this was not one of those cases, and was not let down at all! Your story was very well put together, and the spacing made it easy to read. Your pictures also added a lot, and helped with picturing the scenario! Overall, you did a great job with this story!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a really great story and it showed your creativity well! I am a little surprised you decided to use a cherry as the secret fruit that gives eternal life, is there a story behind that? The feast in heaven sounds like the kind of party anyone would be lucky enough to go to. The food must have been delicious and perfectly cooked. Sometimes I wish that I had a magic food that made me feel better after I have eaten too much. Maybe in heaven that will be true haha. I was kind of bummed at first to find out that Lucy was immortal and Caleb was not. I thought how short an average person's lifespan must feel when you are immortal. I was really glad to see that Caleb got to join her and that they could live together without having to say goodbye. Your story had a very traditional fairy tale feel to it and I think that was perfect for this type of story. Great jobbbbbb!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Matty,
    I really enjoyed reading this story. First of all, I liked how the setting was extraterrestrial. I especially liked the line "...went on her daily morning run across the Milky Way." This is such a casual, every-day occurrence so it really contrasted with the fact that it was on the Milky Way! I loved it!
    Your story was also very thought provoking to me. Do the people age as they live forever? Because I think the prospect of living forever at first is very exciting, until I think more about it. I wouldn't want to live forever if my body and mind still deteriorated. That would almost be the exact definition of a living hell. Imagine, being so old that you cannot remember anything or function, really. Yet, you also cannot die. Also, I would not want to outlive my friends! Life wouldn't be fun without them. I guess it helps that Caleb would live forever with her. And I guess they could make new friends. But still, you would have to experience so much death. I must admit, it kind of reminds me of the Twilight series were the vampires did not age, so they always had to kind of hide away so that people didn't ask questions.
    Very good work and good luck with the rest of your portfolio!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey sweet Matty! I loved this story! I was so caught of guard when Lucy had something “very important” to tell Caleb when he popped the big question. I thought she would break some bad news about a past love affair or that she had murdered someone! Being immortal is definitely a big shock and I couldn’t imagine what I would have thought if I was in Caleb’s position! I liked how your incorporated normal parts of life into the story, such as Lucy going on her usual run, but instead having her run in the milky way! How cool would that be?! I also really liked the pictures you posted throughout your story! The first picture was so romantic and the picture of the girl running made me want to get up off the couch and go for another run today! Great work Matty! Keep up the awesome writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey sweet Matty! I loved this story! I was so caught of guard when Lucy had something “very important” to tell Caleb when he popped the big question. I thought she would break some bad news about a past love affair or that she had murdered someone! Being immortal is definitely a big shock and I couldn’t imagine what I would have thought if I was in Caleb’s position! I liked how your incorporated normal parts of life into the story, such as Lucy going on her usual run, but instead having her run in the milky way! How cool would that be?! I also really liked the pictures you posted throughout your story! The first picture was so romantic and the picture of the girl running made me want to get up off the couch and go for another run today! Great work Matty! Keep up the awesome writing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Everytime I read a love story I think they can't get better...but they do! This one was great! The message of love always prevailing as long as you are faithful is an amazing message. Sometimes people need reminding on the power of true love. I love how you incorporate different aspects and combined it all into one tale of your own! I love when I get to read stories like this. It shows your true creativity and insight. Also food and immortality are like in my top 5 list of badass things. So you hit the nail on the head there! Overall it was great, I did not see any mistakes and I feel you answered all my thoughts as I was reading!

    ReplyDelete