Thursday, March 24, 2016

Week Nine Storytelling: The Woman And The Fox

Once upon a time there was an old widowed woman named Sue. The elderly woman lived in a small cottage in the woods all by herself. Her only son had passed away from a hunting accident when he was only five years old. 

In order to keep her occupied, Sue would take long walks around the forest every afternoon. During her walks, she would sing with the birds, swim laps in the river and gather berries and nuts to eat for her meals.

After Sue’s walk one afternoon, she turned the corner to head home and saw a small fox running from her house.


“Hmmmm… that’s strange,” thought Sue. “I have never seen any foxes in these woods before.”

Not thinking much about it, Sue went home and fell asleep.

The next morning, she practiced her exact routine and entered the woods once again. When she returned home, the fox was asleep in her living room.

“What a cute little creature!”
thought Sue. “I could use a friend in these lonesome woods.”

That night, Sue made a bed out of leaves for her new friend and went to bed.

The next morning, Sue woke up and her house looked completely different! All of the dishes were sparkling clean, the floor had been vacuumed, the toilet scrubbed, the light bulbs had been replaced and there was even fresh deer meat sitting on the table! Sue stood staring at her tiny cottage confused and in awe.

“Do you like what I did with the place?” asked a small voice from behind her. 



In shock, Sue slowly turned around and saw the small fox staring directly at her. Convinced she was sleep walking, the old woman gave herself a big pinch and realized it was not a dream.

“Who are you and how can you talk?” asked Sue.

“I am your son,” said the fox. “When I was killed by the hunters many years ago, a fox saved me and nurtured me back to live.”

The next moment, there was a huge bolt of light and the fox transformed into a small child. After a few seconds, the woman noticed that the little boy was wearing an old gray t-shirt, light blue jeans and a red baseball cap. Sue immediately recognized the little boy because he was wearing the exact same outfit her son had on the day he was killed in a hunting accident.

“Danny! It really is you!” screamed Sue.

“Yes, it is! I am here to protect you and promise to never go into the woods without you again, mom,” said Danny.


Bibliography: My story idea came from "The Fox-Woman" in the Native American Marriage Tale Unit by Stith Thompson. 

Author's Note: I created my story after the original version of "The Fox Woman" by Stitch Thompson. This story is a part of the traditional "Native American Marriage Tales." The original story was about a man who would leave his house to hunt everyday. When he returned, his house was always cleaned and prepared for the evening. One day, the man saw a fox enter his house. When the man looked inside his window, the fox had transformed into a beautiful woman. The man and "woman" ended up staying together for a long time. For my story, I wanted to incorporate a fox that could transform into a human. Instead of making a man the main character, I decided to use an elderly woman who needed a friend. In the end, I wanted the fox to stay with the woman so she would never be lonely again. 

5 comments:

  1. I really love how you took the ideas from the original story and then made it completely your own. It is nice after reading so many stories that are just retellings (though they are also pretty wonderful) to see someone really thinking outside of the box. The story also felt very well executed and was easy to read and enjoy. Well done and keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey! This was a really great story to read. I really love have it ended so happily. Stories involving animals have always been my favorite so I think that has something to do with why I enjoyed it so much. I have never read the original story this is based off so it all came as a surprise to me. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Matty! I have really enjoyed reading everyone’s Native American stories the last few weeks, and yours was no different! I love foxes so it was fun to read about them in your story. This was a sweet story to read about a mom and her son. I think you did a good job transforming it from the original story and the pictures were a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a great story! You did a really good job creating this story. It was really good how you took the ideas from the original story and made it completely your own. It is refreshing to see a story that is not a complete retelling of the original story. Good job and good luck the rest of the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story was very fun to read! The picture of that little house is very cute! I don't really know what else to say other than that it was very well written, creative, fun to read, and the ending was very heart warming. I was glad that they reunited in the end and that they get to live happily together again.

    ReplyDelete