Monday, February 29, 2016

Week 7, Reading Diary: Japenese Fairy Tales Unit

For week seven, I decided to read the Japanese Fairy Tale Unit by Yei Theodora Ozaki. I enjoyed this unit because the stories contained a variety of mystical creatures and exciting adventures.

The first story that really grabbed my attention was My Lord Bag of Rice. The main character of this story was an exciting warrior. The warrior was described by carrying two massive swords, a huge bow and arrow and having no fear. I loved this story because the idea of a warrior on a dangerous mission excites me.



In this specific story, the warrior came across a massive dragon. The dragon was so big that it took up an entire bridge! The dragon was described to have ginormous claws, a long tail and the ability to breath fire from both its mouth and nostrils. 

At first, I was certain that this creature was going to harm the warrior. As I kept reading, the dangerous creature turned into a man and actually wanted the warriors help to accomplish a mission! I loved the idea of having a scary creature actually be sensitive and kind.

The last thing that caught my attention in this story was the dragon's palace under the sea. The palace was described to be made out of white marble. Inside the palace, beautiful fish were the dragons servants. 

For my personal story, I want to incorporate all of these incredible mystical elements and creatures. I want my story to have a brave warrior that helps another creature in need. I think it would be fun to write a story that took place under the sea (similar to the castle in this story!)

I am excited to read the second half of this unit later this week!




No comments:

Post a Comment