Thursday, February 18, 2016

Week 5, Storytelling: Jasmine and the Genie

Once upon a time there lived a young girl named Jasmine. Jasmine came from a poor family and sold flowers on the street to earn money for a living. Jasmine always dreamed of leaving her tiny home and starting a new life in the nearby kingdom named “Teti.” The kingdom’s massive castles, winding rivers and gold pyramids had captivated Jasmine since she was a little girl. Jasmine, and the rest of the girls her age, was also completely mesmerized by Teti’s current King, King Akar. 

King Akar had dark long hair and striking brown eyes. His skin was sun kissed from working in the fields with his fellow townsmen. Akar was selfless, loving and most importantly, single. All of the kingdom loved him and praised him for being the best King in Teti history.

One morning, Jasmine went out to plant flowers for her tiny street shop. When she was digging holes for her lotuses, she saw something that looked like gold. In hopes of becoming rich and being able to help her father, Jasmine started digging as fast as she could! Once she hit the object, she pulled it out and saw that it was a gold lamp with strange writing. A little confused, she started dusting off the dirt to read the ancient script. As soon as she rubbed the lamp, smoke starting to spew from the lamp’s spout and a magical creature appeared out of thin air!



“Finally someone found me!” screamed the lamp’s genie. “I have been cooped up in that thing for over 400 years!”

“Who are you?” asked Jasmine.

“I am Abel, the lamp’s genie!” explained the creature. “I am able, no pun attended, to grant you three wishes of your choice!”

Out of sudden shock and complete excitement, Jasmine immediately thought of her first wish.

“For my first wish, I want a beautiful purple dress to wear to the King’s annual ball tonight,” said Jasmine.

Immediately, the genie snapped his fingers and the poor, flower girl now looked like a true Arabian princess. Jasmine was clothed in a long, bright purple gown with sparkling gold embroidery. In addition to her dress, beautiful jewelry made of the finest diamonds and rubies dangled from her neck and ears. The young girl had never felt more beautiful in her entire life.



“Now that I am properly clothed, I need a way to Teti,” thought Jasmine. “For my second wish, I want a gold chariot to carry me to the Kingdom.”

The genie snapped his fingers and her second wish also came true. Jasmine was so excited to get to the ball that she immediately grabbed the genie's hand and they both took off towards Teti.

A few hours later, the two new friends arrived at King Akar’s castle in the kingdom. When Jasmine opened the chariot's door, she was immediately swept away by the massive building, vibrant colors and royal couples that surrounded her. After entering the castle, she quickly became lost in an unfamiliar crowd of dancing and laughing.


After pushing her way through the crowded party, her eyes scanned the room for something to eat. Only a few seconds later, Jasmine’s eyes came in contact with King Akar. Both Jasmine and the king knew that this was love at first sight.

The two spent the rest of the night together dancing, eating and growing closer to one another. At midnight, King Akar asked Jasmine to be his wife and the future queen of Teti.

Jasmine was so excited that she almost forgot about her third wish! The new queen found her genie and asked if she could still have her final wish.

“Of course you can have your third wish!” exclaimed Abel. “Although, now that you are queen, what else could I possibly grant you that the king can't provide?”

“My third and final wish is that you would be set free from your lamp,” said Jasmine.

Tears immediately started streaming from the genies eyes and he gave her the biggest hug you could imagine.

“Your kindness has set me free!” said Abel.

“No, genie, love has set you free,” said Jasmine as she winked at her new husband.

Ever since that night, Abel, Jasmine and Akar all lived happily ever after.


Author's Note: My story idea came from Aladdin and The Wonderful Lamp from the "Arabian Nights' Entertainments" written by Andrew Lang. In these stories, Aladdin finds a lamp that has a variety of magical powers. All of the stories in this series included some sort of king, magical powers and beautiful clothing and/or imagery. Aladdin was portrayed as a noble, lovable character. In my personal story, I wanted the King of Teti (Akar) to resemble Aladdin's character both physically and emotionally. I also wanted to end my story with a happy ending just like the traditional story of Aladdin that most of us grew up reading. Writing this story made me fall back in love with some of my favorite childhood characters. I wanted my story to be original so I decided to make the girl (Jasmine) search for the boy. Overall, I wanted to give my character distinct personalities and show the readers a different perspective of an Arabian love story.

Bibliography: Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp  is a part of the "Arabian Nights' Entertainment" series that was written by Andrew Lang in 1898. 

2 comments:

  1. This was a great story Matty! I love Aladdin and Disney stories too, so I’m sure this was a lot of fun to write. I like how you wrote your story in a traditional narrative format, but also added in character quotes through out the story. This was a great style choice and gave the reader good background as well as insight into the characters feeling. I’m glad you chose to end your story with a happy ending, I always like happy stories. Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Matty! I really enjoyed reading your story! I loved how descriptive you were with every part of your story. You especially did a great job in giving me a mental image of what Jasmine’s purple dress looked like for the ball. All of the details you added to the story helped me picture what was going on. I also like how you bolded the dialogue between the characters it really made it stand out! You did a great job!

    ReplyDelete