Tuesday, February 16, 2016

Week 5, Reading Diary Continued: Arabian Nights Unit

In the second half of “The Arabians Nights’ Entertainment” by Andrew Lang, I read about “Aladdin and the Wonderful Lamp.”

I really enjoyed reading the second half of the Arabian Nights Units. The stories of Aladdin brought me back to my childhood. Although the stories were similar, they were also very different! These specific stories did not have the same “Disney feel” that I expected them to have.

I enjoyed the vivid colors and descriptive characters embedded within this specific unit. In these stories, Aladdin had both a magical lamp and a magical genie. Both of these characters performed different types of magic and have different powers. I thought it was cool how the genie could perform some wishes that the lamp couldn’t (and vise-versa!)

I also loved how everyone in the town admired Aladdin. These stories described Aladdin as a noble, genuine man. Throughout the stories, he fell in love with the princess and later became her husband. At the very end of the unit, Aladdin became the royal king of his town.  



After reading this unit, I want my story to have a happy ending. I also want it to have details regarding gold jewelry, large castles, horses and rubies. These stories were captivating due to their imagery and exciting adventures.


I want my story to capture my audience’s attention by making my characters lovable and royal. There is something about beautiful clothing, villains and hometown heroes that can draw you into a story! I am excited to start my own story for this week!

No comments:

Post a Comment