Monday, February 1, 2016

Week 3 Reading Diary: Homer's Odyssey


This week I read the classic stories of Homer's Odyssey that were translated by Tony Kline. I remember reading a few of these stories in middle school and absolutely falling in love with mystical world and fascinating creatures.

In the first half of the stories, I was captivated by the descriptive language and settings. The fact that most of the stories take place at sea is really exciting for me!

The big waves, shipwrecks and lost sailors are enough to draw a reader in. In addition to the journey itself, Homer’s Odyssey also provides stories about the sailors’ adventures and struggles while searching for their way home. For example, I found myself captivated when reading the different stories about the Cyclopes.

The Cyclopes’ are describes as massive creatures with an oversized eyeball right in the middle of their forehead. They are viewed as “lawless and aggressive” and can tear a human apart with their bare hands. These unusual creatures live in caves on a small, isolated island. They are incredibly strong and not the type of beasts that anyone wants to mess with.

I thought it was very clever how Odysseus told the Cyclopes his name was “Nobody.” I laughed at the part when the Cyclops screamed, “Nobody is trying to hurt me!” I also thought it was very clever how the men escaped by hiding behind lambs. It was very sad when the Cyclops won and killed some of the sailors.


I also found myself captivated by the Gods and Goddesses of nature that Odysseus and his crew would call to for help. Some of the Gods/Goddesses that captured my attention included:
Zeus: The God of Guests
Poseidon: The Earth Shaker
Perse: The Daughter of the Ocean

I noticed that I loved the mystical, imaginative scenarios in this story. I also enjoyed how it touched on all of my different emotions. I never knew what was coming next and the stories always kept me wanting to read more!


I am excited to read the second half of these stories tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment